Saturday, November 20, 2021

Lover

Akhila Nayak

Translated by Sailen Routray 

Stump of a Cherry Tree in Dülmen, Germany
Photo Credit - Wikimedia Commons

Don’t call me a murderer;
for the whole of my life,
I have only loved.
 
I have learnt the arts of loving
from the hand that irrigates the gourds;
I have also learnt it
from the axe.
 
I have dragged the plow
with my own shoulders,
transplanted wisps of paddy,
weeded fields infested with leeches;
in fields of green leafy vegetables,
I have melted and poured myself
on to the thirsty tongues of the shoots;
yes, I have loved. 
 
Now my measures are full;
my baskets overflow
with paddy and vegetables.
The trees stand tall
with their hands and legs
spread far and wide.
Now, I’ll light a fire and cook;
as my belly burns with hunger.
 
All love is meant for quenching hungers;
oh paddy plants,
friends,
brothers,
please do not call me
a murderer.
 
If needed,
even I
will reach your hungers
as broken grains of rice,
as dew,
as fire,
as breath.
 
Therefore,
please don’t call me
a murderer.

Note: This poem was originally published in the collection titled 'Dhobapharaphara' - 'Stark White'. The work of Akhila Naik (1968-2021) has been at the forefront of a process of transformation of Odia poetry over the last three decades where the language and concerns of the common people have come to the fore. Although he is primarily known as a poet in his home state, with multiple poetry collections published to wide acclaim, to the wider literary field in India he is known as the writer of the the first Odia Dalit novel 'Bheda' (originally published in 2010), that was translated by the Delhi based academic Raj Kumar and published by OUP in 2017.

13 comments:

  1. Congrats for your faithful translation of a poem of enough power by one of the finest poets of our time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pranam. Thanks for reading the translation sir, and the feedback. Akhila bhai was indeed one of our finest contemporary poets. His passing away is a major loss. Regards.

      Delete
  2. Uff took my breath away, what a gorgeous post this is! Beautiful poem, and I like the title you gave it, it's seeped in love! Your translation and my curiosity as to the Odia title "Dhobapharaphara" makes me want to read the original version and explore Akhila's world. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sukanya, if this translation leads you to the original poem(s), then that'll be gorgeous indeed. Happy exploring. Regards.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! I have melted and poured myself ...shoots is my favorite line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and the kind feedback. Great to know that you liked the poem. Regards.

      Delete

Bhagawati Snacks, Chandini Chowk, Cuttack Sailen Routary A gate for a Durga Puja pandal, Badambadi, Cuttack Photo Credit: commons.wikimedia....