Monday, May 23, 2022

The Song

Bharat Majhi

Translator - Sailen Routray


Witold Szwedkowski, Concrete Poem, Title: 01, Year: 2018
In a Typographical Study by Bartek Smoczyński
Photo Credit - Wikimedia Commons/  Szwedkowski

These days you sing 
at almost every gathering,
and I follow you shamelessly.
I breathlessly drink your voice,
its shape, texture and tone, 
with an abandon
that sometimes shocks even me.

Perhaps you do not know,
that before I come 
to listen to you 
I take off
all the noise around me.
I find my way back 
after the abandon of your songs,
through my very own 
lost track to home.

These songs are enough to forget 
the history of your memories;
for the resolution of the defects 
in my horoscope.
They are as dense and close 
as the excitement of the claps
occasioned by your songs.

Even I had left home one day,
thinking that I too 
will learn to sing.
I really do not know how,
but I was back home
the next afternoon,
having caught 
the first train in the morning.

When I hear your songs these days,
it seems as if 
I am offering you a glass of chilled water,
after having glimpsed 
the bareness of your hands.

When I hear your songs these days,
it seems as if 
there is a staircase 
going up till the sky,
on which I am straining hard
to go and harvest the moon 
on a new moon night.

Thus, please keep on singing.
I am there, always,
Invisible, 
to frame the visions.

I keep on clapping shamelessly,
In the breathless abandon 
of the visions 
not induced by your songs.

Note: Bharat Majhi (born in 1972 in Kalahandi) works in an Odia language media house in Bhubaneswar. He has published nine volumes of poems in a poetic career spanning more than three decades. Amongst other recognitions, he has won the Bhubaneswar Book Fair Award in 2008 and the Sanskriti Award in 2004. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bhagawati Snacks, Chandini Chowk, Cuttack Sailen Routary A gate for a Durga Puja pandal, Badambadi, Cuttack Photo Credit: commons.wikimedia....