Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Permission

Basudev Sunani

Translated by Sailen Routray

Photo Credit: commons.wikimedoa.org/Raamleaks

May I be granted the permission sir!
May I rest for a while?
 
As per your order
the shades have been swept,
the goats have been fed,
your drains have been cleaned.
There will be no foul smell now.
 
I have bee beating 
the drums for your entertainment 
for ages now,
And my fingers crave for stillness.
May I rest for a while?
 
I feel the sweat of my forefathers,
my gods, my spirits.
 
Therefore, 
my dear sir,
an hour’s rest is almost salutary,
since I stink of sweat 
and of a few other things.
 
I wait for the sweet hour 
of your fulfillment
and some hint of completion 
of my fly-infested life.
 
Even waiting induces exhaustion, 
my dear sir,
especially after millennia.
Therefore, 
may I rest for a while, 
my dear sir?
As even a dork like me 
knows the arts of minor rebellions.

Translator's Note: Basudev Sunani (b. 1962) is one of the foremost poetic voices of his generation in Odia literature. He has a body of prose in the form of novels, monographs and essays in the language as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bhagawati Snacks, Chandini Chowk, Cuttack Sailen Routary A gate for a Durga Puja pandal, Badambadi, Cuttack Photo Credit: commons.wikimedia....